Community and food adventures ahead this summer
A brief update and invitation to join me for these summer adventures involving community, food, or (my favorite) both:
- Garden parties with Community Garden Connections, a project of Antioch University New England and Cheshire County Conservation District - Tuesdays in July and August, from 4 to 6 pm. The student-run garden is next to the former Cheshire County correctional facility site and across the road from Maplewood Nursing Home on River Road in Westmoreland, NH.
- Weekly farm produce pickups through Farm to Family - my usual market order pickup is Thursdays 3 to 5 pm at Stone Arch, Keene Housing Authority's senior residential neighborhood. The market is open to all, regardless of income or residence.
- Keene Farmers' Market, where Granite State Market Match allows me to double my SNAP benefit on Tuesdays 9 am to 1pm. One of my favorite, family-run farm stands to visit: Abenaki Springs Farm.
- Hillsboro Balloon Festival Parade with Monadnock Roller Derby on July 9. Grab your team logo t-shirt and walk or skate with us!
- Cheshire County Conservation District events: a Beneficial Insect Scouting Workshop on July 10 and the Monadnock Farm Tour on August 26. I'd love to bring some other families to this.
- Free breakfast and lunch for school-age kids on weekdays July 10 through August 18. Antrim Elementary School times are 8:30 for breakfast and 11:00 for lunch. Keene Public Library is also participating. No registration needed, just show up for a healthy meal.
- Presenting two workshops at the American Community Gardening Association 2017 Conference in Hartford, CT: "Gardens at Work: How to reap the benefits of workplace gardens" and "Wellness in Place: Holistic Approaches to Building Resilience Through Community Gardening" - along with my colleagues who are doing great work in community gardening throughout New England.
Besides these, I'll be working on an article or two, drafting a dissertation proposal, and completing a service learning project involving photovoice, a community-based participatory research method. Hopefully, I'll get some good hikes in as well!
Connect with me this summer!